Wednesday, April 17, 2013

erasing a memory..

As far as I can remember, whenever I was asked to write down my hobby, `reading' always appeared on my list. I probably have to thank my mother for inspiring the interest in me and my siblings.. We were surrounded by them while growing up and I remember sometimes taking the pleasure in just holding a book and smelling it. Ok, that sounds creepy, but it's not what you think..;)

My eldest sister is now the one who pushes us to continue reading.. She's probably the most avid reader among us and everytime she buys a book and finishes reading she'll leave it at my mum's house and we all take turns reading it. Recently, another sister of mine left a stack of her books at my mum's and I delightfully took one home as my latest read.. When I opened the cover to the first page I was surprised to see that it was a book I had given her as a birthday gift 7 years ago! I had no recollection of ever seeing or buying it. If not for my note and signature inside, I wouldn't have known at all.. Talk about memory loss..:p

And you see that's the thing, the mind is a powerful storage area where you can keep almost any memory you wish to keep and come back and reminisce it. Or in some cases, like mine above, some can even be erased - intentionally or not. I think I've written about memories a couple of years back and today I'm coming back to it. In two separate incidents recently I discovered how much some memories just can't be erased. And we're talking about the most painful ones.

Everyone must have had a bad past. And as much as you move on in life some memories remain intact and the damage done to yourself never really goes away. I find that sad actually. The fact that the memory is still clinging to you.

Maybe it's a good thing, I don't know. So that you're going to be constantly reminded to be more wary of people in the future. So that you don't fall into a trap and become a victim, etc.. But the fact of the matter is, it seems that you don't really have peace in your heart. Because what hurt you before, actually still does hurt.

To my two friends who I'm kinda writing about here, I pray that you will find peace in your heart and forgive and forget...

No comments: