Saturday, December 25, 2010

the annoying orange

I just met him.
LOL.
Some students told me about it once but only today out of sheer boredom I came across it on you tube and decided to watch it.
Only saw the one vid with the Jalapeno.. made me laugh and thus clear away some blues of mine.
Why am I blue?
Can't answer that cuz I don't know.. (i think..)

Ever watched `Legends of The Fall'? Brad Pitt was in it (*sigh..) He played one of the sons of Anthony Hopkins.. Falls in love with the same girl his brothers do too - Susannah. She gets engaged to one of them (not him) who gets killed in the war. So with him out of the picture she eventually falls into Tristan's arms (Brad Pitt)- the favourite son, after the fiance's death. To add to the drama, being the `free spirit' of the family, Tristan decides to go on a journey and goes away leaving Susannah behind for a long time.. So she ends up marrying the other remaining brother, while still pining for Tristan..

To cut a long story short.. Tristan returns from his long `journey of discovery', becomes the good son again, marries and lives happily with 2 kids.. One day, they all go to a fair and bump into each other. Tristan with one child on his shoulder while the pregnant wife holds the other child. A picture of a perfect happy family..

And that's one of the scenes I remember the most as being the most heartbreaking of all. The moment Susannah sees that picture in front of her.. her expression says it all.

I think I had that expression this morning. I think something hit me.

It may not have been in the same scenario as in the movie nor was it under the same circumstances.. (I have no `Tristan' who I'm pining for ok..) but it sure made me remember that scene.

What does this have to do with the annoying orange? Nothing. Sorry..

But it reminded me of this:

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. - Desiderata


It made me look back at what I have and be thankful:

Take what comes to you and give thanks. Qur'an 7:144

And it reminded me that... Verily with every difficulty there is ease. Qur'an 94:6


So, even if I became `Susannah' for a moment today and ended up in tears.. (lately it falls so easily), I am not going to let that image affect me in any way again.


O' you who have believed, persevere and endure and remain stationed and fear Allah so you may be successful. Qur'an 3:200

And He it is Who sends down the rain after they have despaired, and spreads His Mercy... Qur'an 42:28


If you're finding this post a little cryptic, well, some things don't need to be spelt out in detail.
If you don't understand..then, tough ;)

ps/ if you haven't watched the movie I mentioned before, go watch it! it's a good movie.. :)

2 comments:

Diana. Z said...

First : I never dared watching the annoying orange. o.O?

Second : This post was kicking a spot somewhere in my heart. Nicelah Ms. Shereen. I'll try and remember that always.

Been having a tough time here. Visa gi buat pasal... hopefully will get it resolved soon.

Btw, my last post was about a doa -for sadness grief and sorrow. Just click it.. should bring you straight to it. :)

Miss you. :)

Sher said...

thanx Di, will look at your post.
wrote mine here in a moment of weakness and reflection.. ;) Miss ya too. Hang in there!

Aging?

Something I've been discussing in class with my kids lately has led me to think of the many possibilities that all of us have in life. ...