Monday, November 22, 2010

soul mates

I am dedicating this post to a certain someone who at the moment is a little bit of a lonely soul (you know who you are..)

From an NST article (Do all of us have soul mates?) I read yesterday it said that:

`Humans are made up of four arms, four legs and a single head made up of two faces, but they are split in half and condemned to spend the rest of their lives searching for the other half. If and when one half meets the other, the pair would be swept away by feelings of love, friendship and intimacy'

But it also said that:

'As much as the soul mate mythology sounds promising.. beware of clinging to ideals'

'Often times it's used as a form of escapism. When people are down and out, they cling to the hope that there is one person in the world who will sweep them away from all their sorrows and problems'

Among others it also claimed that:

'Hollywood has created ideas which cause us to be disillusioned. Movies, books and song lyrics have created this notion that you need to find your ideal woman or man to live happily ever after. It's a lot of hype, like a slogan. It's a concept and idea, rather than something real'

So... what do you think? Is this all true?

Allow me to put in my two cents' worth:

Before I tell you what it is let me start with a story. Bear with me, please.

When I was 18 I was just learning to socialize with the opposite sex. I mean like be friends with guys. Somehow my secondary school years deprived me of getting to just be friends. It was a liberating experience. Of course I found them interesting creatures who were fun to be with. It was really nothing romantic. just pure friends.

Eventually, it was easy to just be friends and there was a time when I became close to one of them. It was a good friendship which later I spoiled by placing other `feelings' into it.. Still, it was great for a while as my feelings were reciprocated. But it didn't last long. We were 2 worlds apart and it just couldn't work though I wanted it to. And with the end of the relationship it ended our friendship too. And till this day I feel guilty of having spoilt that friendship in the first place..

Anyway.. where is this story going?

Ok, the point is this. When you're young, you'll meet people and feel things for them and hope they are the one. It's ok. It's normal. But always allow a part of you to just go with the flow and take one thing at a time. Sometimes a soul mate is revealed through time. It may not be instantaneous or love at first sight.

Jodoh dan maut di tangan Tuhan. Believe that. But of course we must work for things to happen, pray and tawakal.

Matters of the heart are always complicated. But it's something you have to go through in order to learn what is it that you want in the end.

After 3 failed relationships, I met my husband when I was just about to graduate.. Totally unexpected *. The first time we spoke to each other, I had this funny feeling that I had known him before* cuz it was so easy to talk to him.. Corny? Maybe. But the NST article also said that those* were some of the signs that you have met your soul mate.. haha..

Alhamdulillah, after 10 years of marriage our love is strong. He tells me he loves me everyday and that I'm beautiful too..:)

So kids, your time will come InsyaAllah. I pray you meet the right one eventually.. It's ok to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince.. (metaphorically speaking). Just be careful along the way cuz heartbreaks are not really easy to handle..

I'll try to be around to give some sisterly advice if you need some, ok? ;)


ps/ The article also believes that 'There may be more than one soul mate in one's lifetime'.. so meaning if one passes on or leaves you, you may well likely find another.. wallahualam..

6 comments:

wawa said...

this is deep. =) really deep =) thank you ms shereen. wink wink =)

wawa said...

eh asal i ckp thank u. as if u dedicate kat i plak kan =p hahaha. -wawa-

Sher said...

lol

Diana. Z said...

Ms Shereen!~~~

Tis post got me all teary! Waaa!~

Hahah... anyways.. as one of the lone soul here, my reaction is - awww....

Btw, nak tau tak... some person told me that susah nak kahwin ngan female doc - man, how does that make me feel. Insecure giler!~

Oh well.. im just gonna ride this life well. Wish me luck!~ btw... i nak main ngan sonic... :3

Sher said...

hehehe.. come over the house! he's still a shy one that Sonic.. ;)

Shz said...

i just told a teenager yesterday, if only we knew then- that heartbreaks are temporary, that yes, before meeting the prince be prepared to kiss all the kodoks, it is the kissing of these kodoks that will teach u a thing or two about life and love and that, yes, if only we knew it then, we wouldn't have wasted so much time crying over these kodoks!