Thursday, October 21, 2010

the `sweetness' in life

When I was about 9 or 10 (I think) I always `role-played'.. For some reason, I was always a career woman - a teacher! with a baby and husband to go back to.. In my role play of course the hubby was imaginary, but the baby was played by my most cherished teddy bear.. (I wonder where it is now..)
Reflecting back on this, I suppose the role I had for myself was what I saw my own mother doing..
Flash forward 25 years later.. here I am, a married, career woman - minus the kids. I guess I should be grateful that 90% of my vision has come true despite desperately wanting the remaining 10 to appear..
While listening to the radio on my way to work today something hit a chord in me. A guest speaker said that one will never know the sweetness of life until they have a child, and one will not be able to appreciate the sweetness of time when they have children.. Does this mean that I have only been tasting one kind of sweetness?
Of course I can only imagine how life would be for me if the tables were turned.. but I could still be getting other forms of `sweetness' in life that may not come in the form of a child - of my own blood.. right?
I think about the `children' in my life right now who are not really mine but who I always claim to be mine ie - MY students. I would like to believe that they too provide the `sweetness' in my life (even though sometimes they can also leave bittersweet or sour tastes in your mouth). They can be a source of entertainment, inspiration, hope and also a catalyst for a headache.. :p Which is probably similar to what one would feel about their own child.
I may not get the sweetness that the man was talking about this morning, but I sure do have alternative `sweeteners' that make up my life..


ps/ The man on the radio also said `Count your blessings, not your misfortunes', so I thank God for all the good things he has granted. Alhamdulillah..

4 comments:

Mustafa Farhan said...

LIKEEE!
we'll always be the sweet that cherish ur life teacher!
no worries.

Sher said...

Thanx Paan! You all sure are.. :)

wawa said...

Gosh i just cried reading this.what a beautiful piece ms shereen.. Ur such a sweet person=)

Sher said...

just keeping it real dear.. :)