Wednesday, July 7, 2010

not in vain

The day of results finally came yesterday. Again, anticipation was in the air; and teachers and students alike were at the edge of their seats to find out.
After my first period I rushed to the office with paper and pen to get down all the details. There was already a small crowd and they had started printing the results..

Don't know why I'm narrating this.. does it sound like a beginning of good story?

There was indeed a difference to this years results. A big one I guess. For me as a class teacher, a mentor and for the whole school..

The most surprising and amazing news for me was to discover that the number of students who got a 7 for English exceeded those I had predicted! 11 out of 21!!! Alhamdulillah... I was really happy and surely did not want to gloat about it but it was really difficult to contain my excitement as the previous years saw only ONE student get a 7.. (out of 8 students)

Later that day I was also faced with the task (i put myself to) to break some not so good news to my mentees about their results.. It's not easy to tell people a bad result.. I was not ready for what came after I told them. I mean I should have assessed the reaction they would give and I felt bad afterwards as I don't think I did a good job over the phone..

The thing about life is that it has its ups and downs of course.. But you got to be able to swallow the defeat.. take it boldly.. deal with it.. Certainly easier said than done but it has to be done eventually. You have to make yourself look it in the eye.. Accept things and believe that all things happen for a reason. I used the cliche line on my students that there's a blessing in disguise.. Hey, I tell myself that when things don't work out for me too.. God has other plans for us sometimes..

Today in class I gave a little pep talk to my current students to remind them that they should do their best NOW, work hard NOW and not have to say in the end if results are bad that they did not work hard enough...
I hope they take my advice and be wise in their actions from now on..

As for the school.. well.. it seems this is the worst results so far.. And I wonder if we teachers had anything to do with that. I would like to believe that we did our best and helped them all we could.. because I know I did.. Still this could be a wake up call for the school, for the teachers to think of better strategies..

Most of all I often believe what we do as teachers is not something done in vain and that even if we don't get to make a difference in every student at least we managed to get the attention of some.

No comments:

Aging?

Something I've been discussing in class with my kids lately has led me to think of the many possibilities that all of us have in life. ...