Sunday, April 11, 2010

Death

This is usually something people don't want to think about, yet everyone will face it one day.
Thinking of it is actually called for in Islam so that one will live their life more carefully knowing the fact that life on earth doesn't last forever.

I believe that I think of it occasionally if not often.. not in a way that makes me all worked up but it comes across me in some situations. I pray that I will die in peace and in a good way. There is a doa' I recite after prayers that asks that from God..

Anyway, I was just observing this yesterday when I went to visit my late grandmother's and aunt's grave, that people tend to die after their birthdays.. I mean like 2 or 3 months after. I was looking at other people's tombstones and reading the names and dates they had died and made this conclusion.. I think I've noticed this for quite some time too - not by visiting graves..

But then again one can't really say this for sure because death can come without any warning and if you are destined to die, it will not be any second later.. My sister's childhood friend who is also our neighbour, died last month trying to give birth to her fourth child at the age of 30 (her birthday was in January).. and nobody saw that coming of course..

Bottom line is.. we will all die. So what we need to do is to be technically `prepared' for it.. to live this life well and do all that God asks us to do.. to not waste our lives away..

No comments:

Aging?

Something I've been discussing in class with my kids lately has led me to think of the many possibilities that all of us have in life. ...